In vitro fertilization (IVF) is the process of fertilizing the female partner’s matured eggs by the male partner’s sperm in the IVF lab for transfer of embryo(s) into the uterus. The procedure is performed by one of our reproductive endocrinologists, Dr. K.M. Kavoussi and Dr. Shahryar K. Kavoussi, at our state-of-the-art IVF Austin lab. As the only fertility center in Austin with an in-house IVF lab, our mission is to ensure the best care and comfort for our patients.
IVF consists of:
- Ovarian Stimulation: Using medication to stimulate the ovaries to grow multiple follicles which contain eggs.
- Transvaginal ultrasound monitoring and hormone level checks.
- When the follicles are large enough and appropriate in number, human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) injection to mature the eggs.
- Egg retrieval at IVF laboratory.
- Egg fertilization by In Vitro Fertilization (placing the sperm and eggs together in a controlled laboratory environment) or intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), which is when a sperm is injected into the egg.
- Embryo Transfer with three or five days after egg retrieval.
- Cryopreservation of surplus embryos 5-6 days after egg retrieval.
- Estrogen and progesterone supplementation until time for pregnancy test.
Some indications for IVF include tubal factor infertility, male factor infertility, severe endometriosis and unexplained infertility. Each patient's IVF protocol is individualized based on age, ovarian reserve testing, and previous responses to fertility medication.
In certain cases some of these additional Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) procedures are performed as extensions of IVF:
- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) may be advisable to have a sperm injected into an egg to achieve fertilization
- Assisted Hatching is the process of opening the covering (zona pellucida) around the embryo in order to help it “hatch” and increase the chance of implantation in the uterus. Assisted Hatching has been shown to be helpful in women 38 years of age and over.
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis, which allows for chromosome analysis or checking for genetic disease of an embryo prior to embryo transfer, may be required.
Couples who are seeking fertility with us can be both evaluated by either Dr. K.M. Kavoussi or Dr. Shahryar K. Kavoussi, one of our board certified reproductive endocrinologists (female fertility specialist) and Dr. Parviz K. Kavoussi, our fellowship trained reproductive urologist (male fertility specialist) to ensure comprehensive and personalized fertility treatment. Our doctors will personally review in detail your treatment options with you during consultation and perform all procedures themselves.
Why Couples Seek IVF Austin
At our Austin IVF clinic, we’ll help you figure out what the reasons are that are preventing you from conceiving naturally. There could be many reasons for infertility both female and male causes which we’ll be able to help diagnosis at our Austin fertility clinic. With both in-house doctors specializing in female and male infertility, we can ensure full fertility care along with IVF treatments.
Is IVF Right for You?
One of our IVF Austin physicians can help determine if IVF treatments are viable options for you. Schedule an initial consultation with one of our IVF specialists to discuss your concerns, answer your questions and figure out if in vitro fertilization is right for you. Call 514-444-1414 or request an IVF consultation appointment online.
Austin IVF - Dr. Kavoussi
"Discussing In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)"
- August 30, 2012
- Assisted Reproductive Technologies
Motherhood is an experience that no one has to miss out on, even if biological factors are interfering. At Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine, the physicians are able to offer services of a state-of-the-art in vitro fertilization (IVF) lab called “Westlake IVF”, used for assisted reproductive technologies (ART). Dr. Shahryar Kavoussi explains what those technologies are and what steps to take when considering treatment by a fertility specialist.Read More